The first time I ever visited Kensington Market was in the spring of 1989. My strongest recollection is being overwhelmed by the smells of the many different foods being prepared. This was slightly problematic as I was pregnant with Kyle and those smells cut short our visit.

September 1, 2010 began a new Kensington adventure, with Kyle taking an apartment in the heart of the amazing neighbourhood. That day taught me about how crazy it is to think about taking a huge truck through the streets of one of the busiest pedestrian areas in Toronto; I did but only because I didn’t know any better.

So, today, I walked through Kensington, taking photos and being distracted by the incredibly diverse shopping experiences. And, best of all, hanging out.

Enjoy!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

13 thoughts on “Kensington Market

1. nice shots and great memories. I too love Kensington market having first visited many moons ago.

2. paulaturner says:

Thank you.
    Yesterday while travelling through Kensington, I was again amazed at the amount of visual stimulation there is – everywhere there is a shot worth taking!

Hopefully you can visit it again – the people watching alone is well worth your time.

3. Paula Turner says:

Reblogged this on (mom)ents and commented:

I first posted this in September 2011. I headed down to Kensington today and was reminded how much I love it!

4. delimaf says:

As always, GREAT colors!!! Thanks much, Paula! 🙂

1. Paula Turner says:

You’re welcome. Interesting go look back several years…

1. delimaf says:

That’s very true! Enjoy your weekend! 🙂

5. Beki says:

Great photos! I love this neighbourhood – it’s just 2 minutes away from my house. Pedestrian Sundays are especially fun 🙂

1. Paula Turner says:

Funny my son’s roommate never liked pedestrian Sundays…not sure why but I imagine it makes it even busier than normal. They lived right across from where the garden car was parked last year so their stoop was often used for photo taking!

6. icelandpenny says:

worth the repost…

1. Paula Turner says:

Thanks. I was so glad to be out and about, doing what you do so well – discovering and rediscovering the city on foot!

7. bobgeor says:

The last time I was in Kensington, I was a part of a Heritage Toronto walk of the neighbourhood and there was a shady obnoxious fellow trying to enforce pedestrian Sundays by standing in front of traffic on Augusta. It was a Thursday evening.

The first time I was ever there, I was leading a YorkU frosh group past Bellevue Square and was scolded from afar by a group of revellers who were discontent over the education system (that’s me being diplomatic in my word selection, by the way). Needless to say, the characters in Kensington alone are enough to keep me away.

At the same time, in learning about its compelling and layered history, there is an aura to it that gets me every time. It really is a microcosm of the Canadian mosaic.

1. Paula Turner says:

Ha! Actually the characters are a big part of what keeps me going back! I love to people watch and there is no better place.

1. bobgeor says:

Perhaps it’s the more extreme of personalities I could do without then, lol. People watching is fun, I admit. Pick a spot and just take it all in.